Liz, I understand that there were numerous scallop shells on the beach near Santiago de Compostela. Pilgrims used ( and still use) the shells as badges to show that they had made that famous pilgrimage. I also heard that the famous scallop dish, Coquilles St. Jacques, was invented and named because of the association of the scallop shell to St. James of Compostela. At 07:23 AM 2/2/2000 -0000, you wrote: >>>> I have just joined the medieval religion list I wonder if anyone can help me with any or all of the following: 1 the iconographic/imagery meaning of some of the flowers found as borders on the more baroque of funeral monuments I am researching. Whilst these are 18th century, the imagery is bound to be earlier. The main ones to be found are: daisies, roses, tulips, with occasional yew berries and stylised leaves that could be acanthus leaves. Sometimes urns (looking rather like waste paper baskets!) are found, as well as very cheerful painted angels! 2 Why James of Compostella is shown with a cockle shell as his pilgrim badge. My various books on saints do not throw any light on this. Liz Pitman <<<<<<<< Jane A. Warburton mail address: P.O. Box 15 Powell, OH 43065 USA email address: [log in to unmask] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%