I don't think that this discussion of Jerome's use of Hebrew has mentioned
the following titles:

Adam Kamesar, Jerome, Greek scholarship, and the Hebrew Bible : a study of
the Quaestiones hebraicae in Genesim, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1993,
reviewed in Bryn Mawr Classical Review 94.5.11 by Sheila Colwell
( http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/1994/94.05.11.html )

(based on:  Studies in Jerome's Quaestiones hebraicae in Genesim : the work
as seen in the context of Greek scholarship, Oxford Univ., D.Phil., 1987)

and:

C.T.R. Hayward, Saint Jerome's Hebrew Questions on Genesis, Oxford:
Clarendon Press, 1995
reviewed in Bryn Mawr Classical Review 96.2.12 by Edward J Matthews
( http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/1996/96.02.12.html )

Ian Tompkins

At 11:06 15/02/00 +0000, you wrote:

>--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
>> In a message dated 02/14/2000 5:07:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>> [log in to unmask] writes:
>>
>> << He did not
>>  use Greek terms; >>
>>
>> How can you say that when I'm staring at the word paradise which is
>> definitely Greek?  I hate to be a pest but you are not convincing me.
>>
>> mark
>
>There is a considerable Christian Latin vocabulary derived from Greek:
>baptizo, Christus, propheta, evangelium, angelus, synagoga, and a
>multitude of other words.  Classical Latin was quite unable to render
>many biblical words, and Jerome used the normal Greek loan-words.  That
>is a different thing from translating from the Septuagint.  That Jerome
>translated from the Hebrew is beyond question, and is indicated, for
>instance, in the very passage you mention.  The Septuagint simply
>transliterates the Hebrew name, but Jerome translates it:
>
>(Genesis 2:8)
>Kai efuteusen kurios o Theos  paradeison en Edem kata anatolos
>[And the Lord God planted a 'paradise' in Eden, on the east]
>
>plantaverat autem Dominus Deus paradisum volupatis a principio
>[And the Lord God had planted a 'paradise of pleasure' from the
>beginning].
>
>As you see, despite the Greek loan-word, the Vulgate is not a
>translation of the Septuagint.
>
>Oriens.

Ian G Tompkins, MA, BD, DPhil
Administrative Assistant
Academic Registrar's Office
~~~~~~~~
Warden
Neuadd Penbryn - Penbryn Hall
~~~~~~~~
Prifysgol Cymru - The University of Wales
Aberystwyth
~~~~~~~~
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:    (01970-62)2047(day); 2900(eve)