Back to questions about St. Joseph--

Yes, I believe there are plenty of Nativity creche scenes to allow for
assessment of depictions of Joseph.  One problem, however, seems to be that
there is no precise and tidy evolution of portrayals of Joseph.  One can
find contemporaneous artists who depict Joseph as elderly and feeble, and
young and virile.  Images of Joseph are too complex to allow us to say, for
example, that he was derided in the twelfth century and respected in the
fourteenth.  This is out of my field, however.  I believe there are several
art historians who are studying images of Joseph, among them Pamela
Sheingorn.

Chara Armon