>From Alice Miller, psychoanalyst, researcher and author of nine books
concerning the influence of childhood on the adult's life and on society as a
whole

According to recent newspaper reports, the British Government is planning to
adopt in March 2000 a legislation that would forbid parents beating their
children with implements and on the head, but otherwise would allow smacking
and slapping them without any limits of age. This information urges me to
write you this letter because hitting children has serious political
consequences, although these consequences are rarely recognized.
At the dawn of the new millennium,  probably no one will claim that we should
maltreat or humiliate our children. But almost everybody still seems to
recommend spanking as an effective and harmless means of raising them. The
widely represented idea that you can "teach children the difference between
right and wrong" by spanking them is as old as our culture but is
nevertheless highly misleading, as new research proves. Hitting children is
always a humiliation and a practice of slavery. It is also educationally
ineffective because it induces fear - and nobody can learn an appropriate
behavior in a state of fear.
However, children learn from examples. Thus, when we spank them we teach them
exactly what we don't want to teach: we teach them violence, ignorance, and
hypocrisy. They learn quickly to do the same as we once did: first to submit
to the more powerful person, to obey out of fear, and to hide the pain of
being humiliated. Then, about 20 years later, they cover their own weakness
with violence, are unable to act peacefully, and maintain that  smacking
children is a right thing to do. They resist to all logical arguments by
calling them "coddling", and go on to spank their own children (or to hurt
themselves)  without a second's thought, without the slightest remorse. Their
effort not to feel the suffering of their own childhood  hinders them from
recognizing that spanking children in every age is a humiliation - unless a
new law that would clearly forbid parents to spank their children in any way
will open their eyes.
If you ask grownup people why they were spanked in their childhood they will
say something like: "I was a naughty boy or girl and drove my parents crazy,
they were really overloaded by the way I was". These people may rarely recall
any concrete incidents or constructive lessons because they were too scared
to learn them. But now, against any logical way of thinking, they expect to
teach their three-year-olds lessons by hitting them. Unfortunately, many
politicians succumb to this error. They do reject slavery in theory but they
still don't realize that children must absolutely be protected by law.
Our parents and grandparents are not to blame for having  passed on to us
misleading  messages  because, at that time, they had no better information
to their disposal. But we do have them today. We can't claim innocence when
the next generation blames us for having rejected information that was
available to us and was easy to understand. Parents of today can no longer
claim the unlimited freedom to be ignorant nor can a responsible  government
do it. It must take into account the most recent scientific discoveries.
Damages in the brain structure of beaten children can already be seen on the
screens of computers.
Violence to children produces a violent and ill society. True authority
dismisses humiliation. Its discipline is based on listening and talking, on
trust, respect and protection of the weaker. It gives children the assistance
they need to become responsible adults who will not turn to vengeful actions
like wars and dictatorships because they will simply return to others what
they once received and what they learned by example: protection and respect.

Alice Miller, Virago Press, London, February 2000