Liz Williams mentions a court case in the early 1990's regarding a local authority charging for access to data - this is briefly discussed in the published 1993 ACAO policy document Sites and Monuments Records: Policies for Access and Charging. (second edition)

The Yorkshire Dales National Park charges commercially based enquirers for the staff time in retrieving and packaging information and for materials.  The money raised stays within the SMR.

>>> "Williams, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]> 02/02/00 02:56pm >>>
In Northumberland we only charge for information and occasionally staff
time, if the enquiry is time consuming. As with Fiona, we don't charge for
giving advice. Was there not a case in the early 1990s challenging a local
authorities' attempt to charge for giving advice rather than just
information?

Liz Williams
Northumberland SMR
This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening System
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp