I totally agree with David Evans,

Information should be free. As long as copyright is not infringed

I am currently working for the National Trust as the Acting SMR
Manager and within that capacity I am developing our strategic
plan for the coming year. A long deep discussion within the
users of the NTSMR has been dissemination of our data to
county SMRs and interested people. We have a policy of free
information and I am developing a policy paper on this in the
coming weeks. It is probable by the end of this process, the view
will be that information should be free to access, use and
disseminate with the proviso that copyright ect and licences are
not infringed.

Hope that helps

Jason A. Siddall
Acting SMR Manager