Brett
Jees you are a stirring bastard! I was not going to step into this one. I
do not have the time. However, Jochens original question "Does the strike
of regional foliation in metamorphic rocks mimic past continental contact?"
is something that I am very interested in, as you bloody well know.

I suspect, very briefly,  that when a collisional plate boundary first
initiates, and folds and foliations have formed for the first time, they
basically will end up  following  the belt of collision, which of course is
the plate boundary, for a whole range of reasons. This means that most
subsequently formed matrix foliations will also follow the plate boundary
because bedding is the major heterogeneity and it will always reactivate at
the larger scale, destroying or rotating the orientation of any newly
forming matrix foliations towards the trend of local bedding. Very large
old folds never die - they just reorientate (it could make a good T-Shirt
slogan in the right context). So it does not really matter what the
relative direction of plate motion is across that plate boundary. Even if
a portion of a plate boundary was sheared at a high angle by a shift in
relative plate motion to form a large arc, the matrix foliation would
still follow the new trend of the plate boundary. Of course Brett's
stirring poses the question, "But what do the foliations preserved in
porphyroblasts do!"

 If you want to know read
Bell, T.H. & Mares, V.M., 1999. Correlating deformation and metamorphism
around arcs in orogens. American Mineralogist, 84, 1727-1740.

Of course all of this only applies to  orogenic belts that are narrow
relative to their length.
Cheers
Tim

Prof Tim Bell