Episiotomy would be a candidate.  We thought we we doing such good, now it
appears that we may have been increasing the chance of tears rather than
decreasing.

eg (not quite an RCT?)

Midline episiotomy and anal incontinence: retrospective cohort study
Lisa B Signorello, Bernard L Harlow, Amy K Chekos, and John T Repke
BMJ 2000; 320: 86-90.

Dr Gary Jackson, Manager Clinical Planning                         Rm 307
Support Building
South Auckland Health, Private Bag 93311, Otahuhu, Auckland
ph 64-9-276 0044 ext 2512         fax 64-9-276 0191     mobile 025 286 1815
email [log in to unmask]