Amanda,

>>is there no challenge from 'representative' groups of people who are
treated in this appauling manner?<< I wish there were. But the
repurcussions self-advocates face in this area seems to be worse than what
they experience now. It is also very difficult to advocate for rights you
do not know exist. (People who are non-readers are dependent upon
experience/others to teach them their rights.)

The most apalling thing I have learned so far in this research is how
thoroughly indoctrinated these people have been that masturbation is "bad".
 Not only are they deprived of sexual relationships with others, but they
have come to believe that the only sex they have the freedom to enage in is
obscene.

Susan Fitzmaurice