Richard wrote :

One issue that has gone entirely ignored in my previous posting was making
contact with local disability organisations.  Irrespective of opinions on
simulation exercises, building links between representative organisations
and cultural/educational facilities appears to be useful for all concerned,
whilst also enabling local disabled people to voice their opinions.

Your experiences and opinions are interesting, but can we please try and
remember that there is a disabled community out there - it is always good to
consult 'primary sources'!

Richard Light

Richard, can I respectfully point out that in the case of the
alternative simulation exercise I described in my earlier posting,
this was developed by a local disability organisation. Perhaps I
should have made its exact credentials clearer. It is a group
of disabled people drawn from the local community, and it liaises and
consults with the City Council on access for disabled people. Many of
its members also belong to the local forum for disabled people.

If local organisations have the resources, their input into
planning/ delivery of simulation exercises is extremely valuable.
I think that one of the key reasons why our training had impact
was because we were all users, over the long term, of the environment
we were discussing.

Anna
Anna Ravetz

tel 0114 234 7133