I'm glad the question has been raised.  I'll be interested to look at the
literature, too.  I'm inclined to be very suspicious of "simulations"-- in
part because their transience tends to be trivialising, but perhaps more
importantly, because there's no way they can impress on my students the
experience of being and of having lived the life of a disabled person.
Regardless of what impairment is simulated, the participants inevitably
have a self-perception that includes unimpaired function and "included"
social status.    The exercise never seems to me to really get any
meaningful information across.

 The only simulation that I'd love to be able to try on people is a
simulation of the radical disempowerment imposed on people with
intellectual disabilities by many group home "caregivers".  Thus, I'd have
a pair of total strangers invade their homes, light cigarettes, brew coffee
and not let them have any, turn their television on to a soap opera and
then treat any attempt at communication as "attention seeking" and respond
by "extinction."  I'd guess a week would be about the right length of time.
  This exercise has always struck me as having considerable instructional
potential, but somehow no one has ever been interested in letting me try it...

All that said, I'm told that the CNIB still has its guide dog trainers do a
two-week simulation exercise, during  which they are unable to use their
sight , and which ends with them being guided by the less successfully
trained dogs.  This *might* begin to be useful...

Liz
Elizabeth Bredberg, PhD
Department of Educational Counselling and Psychology and Special Education
The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Phone:  604-822-4589
Fax: 604-822-3302