At 06:34 PM 2/2/00 +0000, Mairian Corker wrote:
>Who says the attraction is sexual Glenn? That's a gender-normative response!

Marian,

gendered-normative ? - please explain this assumption to me ! It is
possible to understand something in way that is considered 'normal' or
'gendered' but originates by a different pathway of thinking and being.
That makes such thoughts neither gendered or normative. I think you really
have to know people before you can assume what they say results from an
uncritical way of thinking.

Nevertheless, I would argue that the responses - reference to tom cruise
etc - appear to contain an implicit reference to sexual attraction - I
would find it hard to believe that the statement about a 'woman's right to
Tom Cruise etc was not about his  sexual attraction based on his looks -
Tom Cruise is known for his good looks - my point was this seems slightly
at odds with a list that seeks to challenge 'normative' values about the
body does it not ?

>But seriously (because Maria's question was a serious one), for those who
>are not 'in the know' Kirsten Hearn is a well known disabled lesbian
>activist in the UK and the title of her article refers to the fact that
>disabled lesbians frequently do not have access to spaces where they can
>'cruise' i.e. scout the scenery for 'like kind'. Time to swot up on lesbian
>feminist geography?

'lesbian feminist geography' has been very useful to me - specifically Gill
Valentine.

Best Wishes,
RG
>Best, Mairian
>

>>Interesting responses on a disability research list to sexual attraction -
>>physical attraction to 'normal' people as long as the sexual orientation
>>bit is accommodated for (I take it teresa cruise is 'fully' functioning,
>>doesn't look a bit strange, ill, etc).
>>
>>RG
>>
>>At 05:26 PM 2/2/00 +0000, Alessandra Iantaffi wrote:
>>>I have been silent (mostly because depressed by too much work!) but I
had to
>>>join Mairian on this one :-) can I have her too? ;)
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Alessandra

Cruise"