David,
I agree that the actual time spent on enquiries has been reduced, but we
justify our charges to developers on the basis that they are using a
public-funded database for commercial gain. At the end of the day the
charges are a fraction of a developers costs.
It also keeps our local politicians happy to be seen to generate income to
partially recover operating costs (a dangerous path I know).

Simon Thorpe
Sites & Monuments Officer
Winchester City Council.