In message <8AFB10D0D3D6D3119C27009027E77D39085739@PWHEXG1>, Robert
Anthony COCKS <[log in to unmask]> writes
>John
>
>I'm puzzled by your mention of a high failure rate. I haven't personally
>done any Biers since I've been in HK, but when I routinely used the
>technique during winter "Colles season" in the UK, I didn't encounter any
>which failed to work out of well over 100 done. There were some where I
>failed to find a vein to set up the block in the first place, but using
>30-50ml of 1% Prilocaine was always reliable once in. Perhaps I was using a
>lot.......?

I too was puzzled to hear of high failure rate: don't think I've ever
had a Bier's (hundreds by now) fail. Suggest you check your data sheet
on amount and concentration indicated for Bier's. Max suggested is 40mls
of 0.5%. Have to say, I think this may be the drug company being very
cautious (assuming you inject the whole lot as iv bolus into systemic
circulation?). Remember 1 anaesthetic reg who used your suugested dose
of 40mls 1%, never had a problem. As long as you leave the cuff up for
>20 mins, should be safe enough, but don't tell the Royal College of
Anaesthetists, and don't watch "Paper Mask" too often!

Dr G Ray
Staff Grade
A&E
Sussex