Hello all,

Udo Kuckartz wrote:

> Much better than Harald Klein's fairly bad characterizations is a software review
> done by ZUMA (Mannheim):
> Melina Alexa & Cornelia Zuell: Commonalities, differences and limitations of
> text analysis Software: The results of a review ZUMA-Arbeitsbericht Nr. 99/06
> You can download this review as pdf-file from ZUMA's website:
> http://www.zuma-mannheim.de/publications/series/working-papers/99_06abs.htm

I agree with you, Udo, but the bad characterisation was on purpose that
it is NOT THAT EASY to decide which software to use. Seems that I caused
a misunderstanding, but that was definitely not my goal. The problem of
text analysis software in general is that the software has to be
classified according, well that is a question one has to discuss.
Weitzman/Miles established a scheme for QDA-software, but text analysis
software is much more. I also made some attemps (see my list of
publications at http://www.intext.de/PUBLICAE.HTM), but I am not
satisfied yet. Another problem is that the market is growing and thus
changing quite rapidly.
And as already mentioned by Lyn Richards, printed surveys are out of
date when they are printed.
As long as there are no common criteria to classify and to evaluate text
analysis software, I think this unsatisfactory status will not change.
Classification is necessary because you cannot use the same evaluation
criteria e.g. for content analysis software and QDA-software.

Just my 2 cents

Harald

P.S.: I am currentyl developing evaluation criteria for content analysis
software. If you are interested, have a look at
http://www.intext.de/ccasoft1.htm and ... ccasoft2.htm (don't remember
if the file names should be uppercase...) Comments are welcome.

Dr. Harald Klein
Social Science Consulting
Königseer Str. 9
98708 Gehren