Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Societas internationalis pro Vivario
e-mail:	[log in to unmask]
http://www.geocities.com/athens/aegean/9891/
Bro Thomas & Pat: how right you are on saints being imperfect, and this
reminds me of another medievalist who not only did not deny Peter's
imperfection, but made it the subject of a public sermon on the feast of
SS. Peter and Paul (June 29, 1999) in the Roman basilica of St. Clement.
Father Leonard Boyle O.P. said that Peter did worse than Paul did -
because, after all, Paul had persecuted Christians, but Peter denied
Christ "tre volte - davanti a tutti - ed e diventato il piu grande di
tutti." This must be of great comfort to us, continued Father Boyle [my
translation] in our weaknesses, because Our Lord will know how to go
beyond our weaknesses, and make us saints." - So, Pat, Peter and Aaron
are certainly a call to humility, but also a call to trust in God, who
can make saints out of the most unlikely subjects. And, Bro Thomas, I
thought that a homily on Peter's denial given in a Roman basilica by a
Dominican priest would be a good example of non-denial on the Church's
part. Cheers
Luciana