I am going to go out on a limb at this point, especially because I do not
have the original Latin passages before me.  Was King David ever referred to
as being golden-tongued?  If so, is it possible that the adultery and murder
committed by King David were mistakenly attributed to St. John on the grounds
that both were golden-tongued?  I say this with absolutely no
confidence--pure speculation and nothing but!

A question more pertinent is how early restrictions were imposed on
candidates for the priesthood.

Dan Monroe

<< Who else might have done penance for adultery and/or murder? (in
 all of the above, I take that "proper" os "propter" and "paenientes" is
 "paenitens"). Thanks
 Luciana >>