At 07:39 AM 01/07/2000 -0800, Luciana Cuppo Csaki wrote:
>[snip]
>
>I have my doubts on a[slash]modo = admonendo.If "modo"
were abbreviated,
>there should be some abbreviation mark, such as the slash
you found on
>"a". Therefore, I would leave "modo" as is. As regards the
a/slash, this
>is a very common abbreviation for "am". Consequently, I
would read
>"..lapsus ammodo velut quadrupedes", which translates
(roughly):
>"..lapsed in adultery and homicide, from that point on,
groaned without
>words [mutus] doing penance on all four, as an animal
[quadrupes] in the
>woods." - He couldn't very well admonish if he was mutus,
could he?
>Furthermore, it would have been the most fitting penance
for a
>goldmouth, an exemplum that, se non e vero, e ben trovato.
>"Ammodo" is medieval Latin for "from now on, henceforth"
and the like.
>Cheers and happy New Year
>Luciana Cuppo Csaki

Many thanks to Luciana Csaki (and to Abigail Young, who
answered off-list) for clearing this particular point up.
For the benefit of the list, Abigail suggested the
following translation:

John Chrysostom also ... on account of (his?) prideful
speech against
adultery and murder fell mute from this time forward (and)
groaned
like beasts grieving in the pastures.

It certainly makes a lot more sense than my original
reading, especially since the context is a warning against
intemperate speech.  Thus, I would now like to rephrase my
original question: does anyone know of a tradition wherein
John Chrysostom's proud denunciations of adultery and
murder led to his muteness and animalistic behavior?  It is
an odd little reference, after all . . .

Stephen a. Allen