At 08:42 14.01.00 -0500, you wrote:
>i am curious about the recent flurry of reflections on what's appropriate
to the >list.  does this mean that the request for some passages of john c.
on the jews >are not welcome?  or just that any reflections on their
relationship to 20th cn >infelicities is off bounds?

Dear Richard,

I hope that I am not boring you too much by repeating the obvious once more:

1. This list is for discussing medieval religion, medieval Christian
religion as well as other religions of the medieval period and also (not
the least) their relations with each other.

2. As long as we keep this as our focus, we may well occasionally include
the patristic period (and Chrysostom's texts on the jews), although there
are more appropriate lists for doing this at greater length, e.g. Lt-Antiq
and Elenchus.

3. When we discuss matters regarding medieval (or, occasionally, patristic)
religion, it is perfectly legitimate to reflect also on their relationship
to our times. It is not only legitimate, but also enlightening, as you
yourself have proven more than once. But it should primarily serve our
understanding of the medieval past (it goes without saying that it should
also serve our understanding of the present) and should thus rather be
instrumental than become a purpose in itself. Also it should be done in a
considerate and unoffending way. We have collected on this list member of
quite a number of various religious communities and cultural backgrounds,
many of them regarding religion not as a matter of purely academic
interest, and it would not serve our purpose of enlightening us if critical
reflection was phrased as hostile attack.

Yours,

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht ([log in to unmask], http://www.lieberknecht.de)
D-12163 Berlin, Schoeneberger Str. 11, tel. ++49 +30 8516675