My own plea to return to a discussion of medieval religion was prompted by
this remark in one of the messages: "Because the Church needs to be seen as
perfect, it simply cannot admit ANY wrongdoing of its saints. That is one
reason why it has little credibility in the rest of the world." I have no
problem with a discussion of John Chrysostom on the Jew nor even reflections
on their relationship to 20th century infelicities.

Thomas Sullivan, OSB