Peter,

>>Does any one know of an authoritative sources for the terminology of the
different part sof the hammer in a forge?<<

I don't know of any specific sources for the information that you are after, but
have you tried the OED? My concise version gives "gudgeon: pivot at end of beam,
axle, etc., on which bell, wheel, etc., works"

The _Transactions_ of the Newcomen Society sometimes have papers on the iron
industry, it might be worth having a look at the indexes - any good central
library should have a run of them. I have also come across odd historical
articles in the _Journal_ of the Iron and Steel Institute, but this might be
harder to track down.

Regards,

Peter Park. Walton on Thames, Surrey, UK.