In the late 17th and early 18th century some charcoal blast furnaces were producing a small variety of cast iron products.   Hammers,  anvils and plates were obviously for use in forges.   I understand that a gudgeon was something to do with a pivot,  as the axis about with the helve turned as it was lifted.   Was it the hollow in which what turned sat,  that is the bottom part of the bearing?

I also understand that a hurst was the iron collar through which timber helve passed.   Would this have incorporated the piece of metal that turned,  namely the central part of the bearing?

I have also seen references to bouks (or bowks) and boyts.   Can any one tell me what these were?

Does any one know of an authoritative sources for the terminology of the different part sof the hammer in a forge?

Peter King