From: Ross Somerville <[log in to unmask]>

We are about to embark on the 'digitisation' of the Dictionary of New Zealand
Biography, some 3000 biographical essays of New Zealanders active between 1769
and 1960. These 'essays' are at present held as text files (with minimal mark-up
originally intended fror typesetting purposes).
We are currently evaluating proposals, one of which suggests an XML solution.
The selling point of this approach is largely the potential for linkages and
partnerships with other digital historical or biographical projects.
We're interested to know if other projects have embraced XML and whether the
benefits have proven to be worth what could be a premium in development costs.
I'd also be interested to know of any partnerships which have eventuated from
the decision to use XML. Should we consider this a realistic goal in the short
or medium term?

Ross Somerville
Assistant Editor, Dictionary of New Zealand Biography
PO Box 805 Wellington NEW ZEALAND
Phone 64 4 494-0622; fax: 64 4 495-7248
www.dnzb.dia.govt.nz
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]

Dr Paul S. Ell
Director
The Centre for Data Digitisation and Analysis
School of Sociology and Social Policy
The Queen's University of Belfast
Belfast
BT7 1NN