Dear friends and colleagues,

After almost a year, we are getting close to completing our evaluation of
the CATs (critically appraised topics) currently available on the WWW. We
want to contribute, at the end of our analysis, with a set "users' guides"
to CATs on the Internet. These guides had to include validity criteria for
systematic reviews (the big fat CAT) as well as criteria for health
information on the web. The hybrid was challenged, torn, reconstructed, and
destroyed several times. This is its current format (see below).

I will appreciate comments from Internet information users, Users' guides
authors, CAT authors, CAT site owners, and the list at large.

Thanks a million for your input.

Victor Montori, MD
Mayo IM EBM Working Group
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN

Users' Guides to CAT-containing sites on the WWW
A. Criteria for content, currency of information, and attribution and
documentation of CATs on the Internet

Is the CAT valid?
1.	Was the CAT focused by a well-built clinical question?
2.	Was an explicit and sensible process used to identify and select the
evidence?
3.	Was the evidence appraised the best available to answer the
question? Is it unlikely that relevant studies were missed?
4.	Were the appropriate validity criteria applied to the evidence
appraised?
5.	Are all the dates clearly stated? Date of search, date of
publication, date of expiration?

What is the CAT's message?
1.	What is the CAT's message?
2.	How strong is the message?

Will the CAT's message help me in my patient care?
1.	Can I apply the message in my patient care setting, to my patients?
2.	Were all clinically important outcomes, benefits, harms, and costs
discussed?

B. Criteria for authority of authors, disclosure of competing interests, and
feedback mechanism
1.	Is the academic or training level of the authors or commentators
clearly stated?
2.	Have the authors, site developers, and sponsors disclose all
competing interests?
3.	Is there a mechanism to contact the authors?