Call for Research Grants at CEPS/INSTEAD Differdange (Luxembourg) -
under:

A.      IRISS-C/I program funded by the European Commission, DG XII,
TMR,
and
B.      IRISS, USA program funded by the US National Science Foundation

"Access to Large Scale Facilities"

Deadline for Submission of Research Proposals: 15 February 2000

Period of Stay at LIS/LES - IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD Differdange
(Luxembourg):
preference between 1 June 2000 and August 2000 but may be between April
and
December 2000 (up to 3 weeks per individual or joint research project).

Topics: Proposals should deal with comparative socio-economic European
research based on the international micro-databases available at
CEPS/INSTEAD:

- the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS),
- the Luxembourg Employment Study (LES),
- the Household Panel Comparability Project and Database (PACO), and
- the European Community Household Panel Study (ECHP user database).

IRISS-C/I promotes problem-oriented socio-economic analyses based on
international micro-data. It aims at bringing together individual
researchers from different countries and disciplines in an informed
socio-economic research environment. Preference will be given to
projects
focusing on cross-sectional and dynamic analyses based on cross-section
or
longitudinal panel data, and contributing to the advancement of
comparability.

IRISS-C/I offers opportunities to work in the following fields: -poverty
and
inequality, -panel/survey methodology, - income dynamics, - persistent
and
new poverty, - education and training, continued education, - labor
markets,
unemployment, segmentation of labor markets, new forms of work, - child
well-being/poverty, child care, - impact of aging populations,
intergenerational relations, - effects of family policies, social
protection
and  redistributive policies, - family structures and change, - family
and
household budgets, - geographical and social mobility, - gender, ethnic
and
social inequality, - regional development and structural change.

Who may apply?

Researchers who are nationals of an EU member state or an associated
state
(currently Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Norway) and conducting
research
in a research team working inside the member states of the EU or
associated
states may apply for the TMR funding. US Researchers may receive funding
for
participation in IRISS sponsored by the US National Science Foundation.

IRISS particularly encourages joint US-EC research team proposals that
involve joint stays at CEPS/INSTEAD.

Interested US researchers may contact Prof. Tim Smeeding
([log in to unmask]). EU member or associated state researchers may
contact Vincent Hildebrand ([log in to unmask]). Only
researchers/research teams doing non proprietary research (who are
entitled
to publish the results of their work in the open literature) may apply.
Level of research: preferably doctoral candidates or beyond (no
limitation
concerning applicant's age). Researchers from other countries may also
participate in the activities, being understood that they will have to
be
funded by other sources.

What do the research grants offer to Candidates?

Technical and scientific assistance; free access to databases available
at
CEPS/INSTEAD (LIS, LES, PACO, ECHP, and - at a national and regional
level
- the Luxembourg Household and Firm Panel, as well as the inter-regional
institutional database EURES on transborder labor market regulations);
use
of individual PCs with Internet access / personal e-mail; training on
the
use of the Center's databases, if necessary; exchange with experienced
CEPS/INSTEAD researchers and research partners working on similar themes
and
projects; free use of the IRISS-C/I facility with administrative support
(secretarial assistance, photocopying, communication); reimbursement of
travel from and to home country; daily allowances and overnight stay in
the
Center's apartments. Free access to JSTOR Journals via www.jstor.org.

Review and Selection Procedures

Each proposal is reviewed by 3-4 members of the User Selection Panel
(see
composition of the EU- and the US-Selection Panel at our homepage:
http://www.ceps.lu/iriss/iriss_eusp.htm and
http://www.ceps.lu/iriss/iriss_ussp.htm).

Evaluation criteria: scientific and technical quality of the project
(scientific/technical interest, originality, methodological approach,
feasibility, cohesion/structure/clarity), comparative and/or
longitudinal
approach, appropriateness to study the project at CEPS/INSTEAD,
projected
publication or other product, added value for European socio-economic
research.

Feedback to applicants: Applicants are informed about the result of the
evaluation within 4-6 weeks after the deadline. If Panel members reject
proposal they will indicate why and possibly make suggestions for a
revised
proposal.

Seminars: While at IRISS, each researcher should prepare to present a
seminar on their work. This may take place at the end of the stay (final
product, progress report) or at the beginning (a discussion of proposed
work) or both.

Reports: At the end of their visit, IRISS-C/I users are asked to provide
report on the work they have done at the Center, preferably in the form
of
one or more research papers. Papers to be published as a result of the
visit
should acknowledge that the work was supported by the EU - Training and
Mobility of Researchers Program or by the US National Science
Foundation. A
copy of each paper should be sent to IRISS-C/I for inclusion in the
Center's
working papers series.

Technical Note: Candidates may apply by e-mail, fax or ordinary mail.
The
application form may be copied directly from our IRISS-C/I homepage (In
Luxembourg: http://www.ceps.lu/iriss/iriss.htm. In US:
http://www-cpr.maxwell.syr.edu/~lisaa/index.htm) to the PC and returned
via
e-mail, confirmed by signed fax or original mail. E-mail applications
should
use a file attached in Word 6.0 or 7.0. Applicants may also print out
the
PDF version of the application form directly from the homepage or ask
for a
paper version under an address indicated below.

Contacts for further information:

Vincent Hildebrand
IRISS-C/I Database Expert
CEPS/INSTEAD