May I introduce myself: I am Rachael Spain, and am currently chairing a project to try and get an Independent Living Centre under way in Dorset, UK. We have decided to ask the community what they feel would be of use, in terms of services offered, rather than make assumptions. The project team members cover a wide spectrum of disabilities but felt that as services are so often imposed as 'being good for you' it was important to ask. We are sending out a questionnaire to every household in the county, and are asking people for their own definition of disability, and questions about what would be of most use.  I, myself, am disabled and doing this as I am having difficulty finding an employer with the vision to employ me.

I have two questions we need help with:
1. Does anyone know of any similar studies which have taken place, or are taking place?

2. We are having an ongoing argument in terms of wording: 'people with disabilities', or 'disabled people'? I have watched the discussions during the past weeks and still feel confused about it.  I personally feel enabled by the use of my wheelchair but disabled by steps where I wish to go, but I need to get this 'right' as I do not want to offend the whole county!

Thank you in anticipation of your help

Rachael Spain
Dorset Integrated Living Centre Project