From: [log in to unmask]>Dr. Nancy Lane
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 12:13 PM
Subject: disability language

I have been asked to give one lecture on writing about disability in an under-graduate course on journalism. My field of expertise in regard to disability is primarily in religion, theology and spirituality.  Since I live with a disability I know some of the areas I want to cover. However, I am not sure I am up to date on language issues--although I read the posts on language with interest. While I have my own thoughts on language, I would appreciate some suggestions to consider and ref to any articles or books/chapters that are "not to be missed" for future journalists.

Any other thoughts on points I should cover are welcome.  My primary point will cover how negative and stereotypical language perpetuate negative attitudes and myths about people with disabilities.

Thanks,  (The Rev.) Nancy Lane, Ph.D.