Philip (et al)

It is not a question of causing or taking offence, it is a question of your
own stance or 'take' on disability.

This course you are writing..
Why are you writing it?
Who is it for?
Who will be admitted as a student?
Who will be excluded as a student..and why?
Who will lecture
Who won't lecture?..and why?

Is your course to be oriented towards
The social model?
The medical model?
The psychotheraputic cultural experiential model?

Are you going to mix these three (and possibly other) approaches or stick
to one foundation stone?

Who do you adjudge 'expert' and worthy of paying attention to?

What do you expect your students to 'do' with the result of being on your
course?

I refer you to a paper by Emma Stone and Mark Priestly 'Parasites pawns
ansd partners; disability research and the role of non-disabled
researchers' British Journal of Sociology Volume no 47 Issue 4 December
1996 pp699-716.

Have you considered the posibility that 'Theorising Disability' has for
many people been done to death, and that 'Factualising Disability' might be
the adjenda for the new millenium? Vic Finklestein in Disability Now
February 1996 wrote

 'The battle to establish the social model (changing society rather than
people with impairment) has been won. The time for consolidation and
building democratic organisations of disabled people is ending. Now we must
bring disabled people into mainstream issues - the future of education or
the NHS for example - so they can work with non disabled people to improve
the quality of life for everyone.'

All I am suggesting is that to post a statement such as you did asking for
help without clarifying your own stance may not get the response you want.
To take an extreme example as a parallel, supposing I were to post a
massage asking for help on the issue of 'Theorising pregnancy' you would
not know if I were a eugenicist or a fundamentalist pro-life er, how would
you take such a posting especially if you had been unable to escape the
attentions of one or other or even both of these camps?

With all good wishes

Amaryllis

NB You dont have to provide me with answers to the questions I have posed.
I dont expect this. Converesly you are welcome to respond if you wish. I am
not dismissive of you/your work.