Having posted to the list, I would like to introduce myself.   I am
Executive Director of Valley Mountain Regional Center, Inc., a non-profit
corporation that serves almost 7,000 developmentally disabled children and
adults in the Northern San Joaquin Valley of California (the two largest
cities are Stockton and Modesto).  Since my degrees are in English and
Public Administration, and my involvement in the developmental disabilities
field is primarily managerial, with some involvement in specific cases
involving sex offenders, community NIMBYites, and other rather dramatic
situations, I am interested in how the academic world views disability in
general and mental retardation in particular (that being the largest
component of developmental disability as defined in California).

-Dick Jacobs