Hi Henry and all

Point taken, but it's worth remembering that the UK academic
mailing lists weren't set up and funded simply as free chat spaces.
They differ from Listserv, Onelist and so on, because their content
and target membership goes to vetting before the list is established
and we have codes of content etc. Consequently, list administrators
do intervene in debates occasionally (both privately and publically).

I think my point was that people took the piss out of disability
studies as a discipline for years (and still do in many North American
universities, so far as I can see from stories on this list). It seems
unwise for us to get involved in similarly panning something perfectly
legitimate, and highly relevant to disability studies, just because a
few peope haven't heard of it.

The organisation and occupation on place and space are quite
clearly gendered (and to assert otherwise would be bizarre in the
extreme). A gendered approach is an entirely logical, and well
established, tradition within social geography. So, I suppose I'm just
a bit surprised by the reaction. We all seem quite happy to think
about spaces and places as being central to disabling geography
within a social model, so why on earth are people bothered by the
notion of feminist geography?

Or is it just because it's labelled 'feminist'?

:-)

Best Wishes

Mark Priestley
Disability Research Unit