I think Amaryllis' questions about Phillip's proposed course are important
ones. To these questions, I would add consideration of where the course is
taking place, and whether the students are likely to include overseas
students. I think most people would agree that there are a number of
different approaches to theorising disability and impairment and a number
of different 'versions' of each approach some of which relate to national
boundaries and 'cultures'. I think it is important to give an overview of
the different approaches and to encourage the development of a *critical*
approach to theory and practice that makes students ask *deep* questions.
However, if the course aims are practical, as opposed to purely theoretical
it doesn't make sense, for example, to develop a course that has
implications for practice in the UK on a model that doesn't bear any
relation to 'mainstream' or Disability Studies philosophy, policy and
practice in the UK.

I would certainly like to see a good deal more dialogue (rather than
competition) about differences and similarities in the practical
applications and implications of different approaches to theorising
disability and impairment.

Best wishes

Mairian

Mairian Corker
Senior Research Fellow in Deaf and Disability Studies
Department of Education Studies
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE

Address for correspondence:
Deafsearch
111 Balfour Road
Highbury
London N5 2HE
U.K.

Minicom/TTY      +44 [0]171 359 8085
Fax              +44 [0]870 0553967
Typetalk (voice) +44 [0]800 515152 (and ask for minicom/TTY number)

*********

"To understand what I am doing, you need a third eye"

*********