Sandie Geddes <[log in to unmask]> writes

>I am attempting to make sense of an 1824 Enclosure Award and would appreciate
>clarification of 'pasture and shackage for all commonable cattle levant and
>couchant thereon'.  Do the terms 'levant and couchant' in this respect simply
>mean that cattle were allowed to remain on the pasture day and night?

These funny terms can vary in their exact meaning from place to place.
"shackage" usually means the right to pasture cattle on the whole of the
common fields after harvest (not just on your strips).  This right
certainly went under many local names.

The principle of levancy and couchancy is usually that you can only
pasture on the common land as many catttle as you can over winter on
your private land.

If that does not make sense in your Act please let me have a bit more of
the context of the Act - I will then probably be able to obscure the
issue utterly.
--
Frank Sharman
Wolverhampton, UK