Panthera spp.

I have recently recorded a medieval/post-medieval faunal assemblage from Bawtry, S. Yorks.  In a context containing typical evidence for domestic debris (mainly cattle and sheep, a little fish and hare - all heavily butchered), I also identified a mandible as Panthera spp.  It is approximately lion-sized, but the state of preservation is extremely poor.

Given that the domestic bones are in excellent condition, I am wondering if this could be a Plesitocene (?) intrusion.  Unfortunately my knowledge of big cats in pre-Ice Age England is extremely limited.  Can anyone help with other find spots, geological periods that Panthera may be expected in etc?

With thanks

Jane Richardson

Dr Jane Richardson
Archaeological Services WYAS