Dear Edward,
This is indeed a serious problem on many sites. As far as absolute
ageing of animals in concerned there is little you can do - isolated
teeth are bound to give you much more approximate information
than tooth rows.
You can however work on a relative basis and build up distributions
of wear stages of individual teeth to be compared with similar
distributions from other phases or other sites.  This can still be
quite informative.
I think that the analysis of isolated teeth should be carried out even
when many tooth rows are available. It is very useful to look at the
ageing evidence in a number of different ways. Tooth rows can be
affected by taphonomic biases that don't affect loose teeth (and
vice versa) and therefore the use of both approaches can clarify
aspects of the tahomomic history of an assemblage that have led
to the creation of a particular age distribution. I have worked on a
number of bone assemblages in which the evidence from loose
teeth has saved me from interpreting the kill-off pattern calculated
from tooth rows incorrectely
Cheers,
Umberto