Dear An, Anton and all interested,

1/ I think you should ask first Sabine Deschler-Erb in Basel, who
has recently been working on Roman materials from Augst:

I already forwarded your message to her, because I am not sure
whether she is listed in the zooarch.mailbase.

2/ As far as I know, no spectacular concentration of crafts has yet
been observed in Roman Aquincum. If yes, she will let you know.

3/ Although not directly relevant in a chronological sense, in the
volume I wrote about the medieval Hungarian town of Vac (Animals
in the urban landscape...BAR IS 609, 1995) a butchering area and
a tanning workshop were not only in each other's proximity (p. 112,
Fig. 65) but also along a street which was likely to have served
messy cattle drives across town. I think Wim has the volume.

4/ Recently, I have started worrying about the stink such places
must have produced. How is your craftpeoples' quarters located vis
a vis prevailing winds and habitation areas? If anyone can povide
me with a short reply to this, may I use it as a "personal
communication" in my forthcoming "smell" paper? The Vac
butchering area was in the middle of town, and even the tanning
facility was less than down wind.

Best wishes: Laszlo
(Bartosiewicz)