It is very nice to see how many people are interested in small
vertebrate taphonomy!
I am doing my PhD on carnivore -mainly fox- taphonomy in Puna
rockshelters, over the Andes in NW Argentina. The results I have
obtained so far on modern cases are somewhat different from Sue's.
Basically, I've been finding no large vertebrate remains in fox
scatological assemblages (and no small vertebrate remains in
transported assemblages). Besides, scatological bones are not very
badly damaged by digestive acids, being extreme fragmentation the
most outstanding property of these assemblages. (I've sent a paper on
this to Archaeofauna [Spain], and could send you a copy.) Of course
the arid Puna and South American foxes differ from what you have in
Britain, but comparing what canids do under different circumstances
can be very interesting.
Mark, I am very interested in your research, and would very grateful
if you could send me some information.
Mariana

> Date:          Fri, 12 May 2000 12:22:58 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
> Subject:       Re: owl pellets in an archaeological context <fwd>
> From:          Susan Mary Stallibrass <[log in to unmask]>
> To:            Jacqui Mulville <[log in to unmask]>
> Cc:            Mark Ward <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

> Phil Piper is doing MPhil/DPhil research at York
> (Archaeology Dept) on the taphonomy of small vertebrates
> from rural and urban sites. This involves a study of
> current taphonomic pathways (including two- and four-footed
> predators). Do you know each other? Seems to be topic of
> the year. My own work on fox scats found bits of larger
> bones (eg frags of rabbit, sheep and bird bones) or
> occasional whole small bones (phalanges etc) of birds or
> isolated teeth of small mammals, but very few small
> vertebrate bones. Either that's a sampling bias (ie if
> there are dead sheep around, foxes may target them in
> preference to nimble little brown furry squeaky things etc)
> or the small vertebrate bones don't survive the digestive
> tract too well (teeth being an exception). I'll be very
> interested in Mark's results from the fox survey.
> There are some pictures in:
> Stallibrass, S. 1990. Canid damage to animal bones: two
> current lines of research. pp 151-165 in Robinson, David E.
> (ed.) Experimentation and reconstruction in environmental
> archaeology. Symposia of the Association for Environmental
> Archaeology No. 9, Roskilde, Denmark, 1988. Oxford: Oxbow
> Books. ISBN 0 946897 23 9.
>

> Sue Stalli
>
> On Fri, 12 May 2000 09:44:10 +0100 Jacqui Mulville
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > mark have posted your message direct to zooarch.  Here you
> > all a futher strand in the rich tapestry of owl pellets etc.
> > jacqui

Mariana Mondini

NOTICE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS & NEW ZIP CODE:
Seccion Arqueologia, ICA, FFyL
Universidad de Buenos Aires
25 de mayo 217 (piso 3)
(C1002 ABE) Buenos Aires
Argentina
Fax (indicate "Arqueologia"): (54-11) 4343 2733
Tel. (home): (54-11) 4864 1168