Stating in print what methods are used to make species identifications is a
critical part of zooarchaeological research.  In fact, an entire symposium
on this subject was held at the 1995 meeting of the Society for American
Archaeology (see Butler and Lyman 1996 for a review).  Other articles that
address this issue include Baker and Shaffer (1999) and Driver (1992).  One
of the reasons this becomes so critical is that variables other than
morphology are often considered when making species identifications (such
as biogeography).  Other researchers need to be able to evaluate in detail
the discrete traits, morphometrics, and biogeographic data we use to make
IDs.  If we don't describe our criteria, there's no way for other
researchers to evaluate the validity of our identifications or the
conclusions we draw from them.

As a practical example, this is one of the challenges that has faced the
FAUNMAP project. When you begin summarizing Quaternary mammalian data for
all of North America, how do you know which identifications to believe?

Even though many anthropology journal editors don't like to publish our
long taxonomic and morphological descriptions, there are plenty of
paleontological journals that would love to see our manuscripts.  So, my
advice - describe and cite extensively!

Baker, Barry W., and Brian S. Shaffer. 1999. Assumptions about Species: A
Case Study of Tortoise Bones from SE Texas.  Journal of Field Archaeology
26(1):69-74.

Butler, Virginia L., and R. Lee Lyman. 1996. Taxonomic Identifications and
Faunal Summaries: What Should we be Including in Our Faunal Reports?
Society for American Archaeology Bulletin 14(1):22.

Driver, Jonathan C. 1992. Identification, Classification and
Zooarchaeology. Circaea 9(1):35-47.

Sincerely,
Barry W. Baker

Forensic Scientist
Morphology Section
National Fish & Wildlife Forensics Laboratory
1490 East Main Street
Ashland, Oregon 97520-1310
U.S.A.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.lab.fws.gov

Adjunct Professor of Anthropology
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Southern Oregon University
Ashland, Oregon

Co-editor, Zooarchaeology Home Page:
http://borealis.lib.uconn.edu/zhp/