I am working on a Utility index for domestic pig and wild boar as part of
my Phd research, and have just this week burtchered a wild boar for the
purpose.

with regard to the comments made so far., i would note that skinning is a
contentious and not easily resolved issue with regard to pig butchery.
Whilst it is possible to skin a pig, and obtain pig "leather", one must be
careful not to assume such a practice; for unlike other animals the skin
is edible. it is likely that if the leather was not sought, then the hair
would simply have been burnt off and the skin left in tact with the meat.

Furthermore, if one does intend to skin a pig, this is not as easy as it
may seem. Whilst in most animals there is a clear distinction between the
hide and the meat, with a separating membrane, and the possibility of
simply pulling one apart from the other (if sufficiently fresh); in the
pig this is not the case. Skinning would be an arbitrary practice,with the
butcherer making the decision as to where in the fat layer to cut. THus
skinning marks could possibly vary from one episode/ animal/ butcherer to
the next. And as stated previously, the layer of fat would protect most
bones from skinning marks.

For the purposes of my study, assuming that the skin is edible and
utlitsed, i am not skinning the pig. And so all cut marks on my samples
are disarticulation and defleshing (and frustration).

Finally with regard to the butchery marrks noted on the feet
bones. carpals and tarsals are notoriously difficult areas of
disarticulation - and any marks on these are predominantly disarc, rather
than skinning. but this is the least fat covered part of the pig skelton
and so most susceptible to skinning marks...
plus
"meat" removal from metapodials and phalanges should refer
to the Jelly like fatty tissue and tendons  - there is comparatively
little meat on the hocks.

don'tknow if this helps...
perhaps i'll skin the next one.

Laura

Laura Pugsley

Grahame Clark Zooarchaeology Laboratory 	          Newnham College
Department of Archaeology				  Sidgwick Avenue
Cambridge University				          Cambridge
Downing Street						  CB3 9DF
CB2 3DZ							  Tel: 01223 566954
Tel: 01223 339349