SUBJECT.      NEW THEORY OF TENSE FORMATION

Dear Sir/Madam,

The importance of English as an international language can be judged
from the fact that there is no country in the world where a speaker
of English cannot be understood. A living language, like human
beings, changes. If we study the history of English language, like
any other language, we shall notice the numerous changes that have
taken place in it over the years. English as it was spoken 500 years
ago, we shall be hardly able to make it out. Likewise, changes also
occur in the grammatical system of language.

Grammar is the anatomy or practical analysis of a language. It
establishes the laws of language and organizes them under specific
headings such as the different parts of speech and their specific
functions. In English Language, among other parts of speech, "verb"
plays a crucial role in tense formation. And, the same, a tense
plays a vital role in sentence making. Hence, we can say that the
distinctive knowledge of "verb" opens the door of correct and fluent
expression in English.

The current applied use of "verb" in a tense confuses a foreign
learner so much that he, very soon, begins shirking learning tenses.
And he, at last, finding no other way, indulges in cramming. Many
instances of ambiguity in the use of "verb" in tenses can be cited
in this connection. The need of the hour is that efforts must be
made to devise a method of tense formation that could help the
learners in learning the use of concerned verb rules easily and
efficiently.

As a teacher and learner of English, as a foreign language, I have
been able to devise a theory contrary to the current applied rules
of tense formation. Through this theory, all the complexity and
ambiguity, found in the use of "verb" in tenses, is totally
shattered. For, this theory marks out the two distinct verb
categories in tense formation. For the last many years, I have been
teaching as per my devised theory to higher classes students at my
academy. I have experienced it quite a practicable and useful
creative work.

Now, after having attained some proficiency in the use of "verb" in
tense formation as per this devised theory, I have decided to put
forward this theory for general discussion. For this, all the
English lovers are requested to give their critical comments on the
said theory. In Pakistan, there is no such forum or institution
where I can prove my contention. But, I am unknown to any such forum
in U.K., also where I might dispatch original booklet containing a
comparative study of current applied rules and suggested ones.

Dear Sir/Madam, in this concern, I ask for your permission to
dispatch you a copy of the said theory. Or you must guide me to a
forum, institution, or English Language Research Center where I may
have a preview of my theory.

With best wishes

     A lover of English Language

      M. ARSHAD ALI CH.