---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:06:24 CDT
From: Jennifer Creech <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call for Papers/Performances

** The Politics of Pop: Popular Culture in German-speaking countries **
***** Graduate Conference at the University of Minnesota *****

Date: March 2-4, 2000.
Abstract Deadline: November 1, 2000.
Key-note speaker: Professor Arlene Aikiko Teraoka, from the Department of
German, Scandinavian and Dutch at the University of Minnesota.

The distinction between High and Low Culture has always been an inherent
aspect of defining Kultur in German-speaking areas. Pop culture can be
understood in the contexts of its production; its popular, critical, and
academic reception; as well as its appropriation by the academy. We would
like to invite critical analyses of popular culture in any of its contexts,
including but not limited to: science fiction; popular representations of
Ostalgie; magazines (Stern, Bravo, Bunte, Brigitte, Spex); examples of
pre-twentieth century popular culture; comics; film; sports; music
(Schlager, Neue Deutsche Welle, Hip-Hop/Sprechgesang); television;
advertising and the media; and the internet superhighway. We would also like
to encourage critical contributions by those not affiliated with the
academy. Such contributions might include readings from work in progress,
creative writing, acting, dance, musical performance, and film showings.
Theoretical approaches might include: theories of difference; feminist
theories; psychoanalytic theories; reception theory; Marxist theory; and the
use of popular culture in the classroom.

Your presentation/performance should be in either English or German and
should be limited to 20 minutes. Please submit a 1-2-page abstract of your
paper/performance piece either in the form of a hard copy or electronic
attachment to one of the following addresses:

Jennifer L. Creech
Department of German, Scandinavian and Dutch
University of Minnesota
205 Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant Street, SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

The deadline for submissions is November 1, 2000.

For further information on the conference, please visit our department
website at www.folwell.umn.edu/gsd/. If you have additional questions, you
may contact our conference secretary, Jennifer Creech, at