To all list members,

The Faculty of Geographical Sciences of Utrecht University has started a multidisciplinary research program in physical planning.This program aims at the development of a generic framework for understanding and modeling the complex interactions between socio-economic and environmental systems. The geographical domain of the program consists of the West European Delta region, particularly the poly nucleated metropolitan regions of the Randstad Holland, the Rhine-Ruhr area, and the Flemish Diamond. A more elaborated description of the program and the projects can be found at our web site http://networks.geog.uu.nl.

For this program we are looking for a Ph.D. researcher for the project called
"LOTUS: Long distance Opportunities, Travel and consequences for the Use of Space in the West European Delta"

In this study the influence of characteristics of travelers and the space-time context on long distance traveling is analyzed. An accessibility model to study the potentials for the development of long distance traveling in the West European Delta region will be developed. With this simulation model the consequences these potentials could have for the use of space for functions that attract long distance travelers, can be analyzed. For this purpose, data from existing travel databases and a survey with long distance travelers in the Delta region is used. Multi variate analyses and GIS techniques in this project are applied.

We are looking for a person who:

We are offering Ph.D. researchers: You are invited to send your letter of interest and your Curriculum Vitae by e-mail to the co-ordinators of Networks in the Delta Dr. Martin Dijst ([log in to unmask]) or Dr. Paul Schot ([log in to unmask]). Otherwise, you may send your letter and Curriculum Vitae  to our personnel department, preferably before November 1 at the following address:  Afdeling Personeel en Organisatie, Faculteit Ruimtelijke Wetenschappen, Universiteit Utrecht, P.O. Box 80.115, 3508 TC Utrecht, The Netherlands.