Although we do have Pelicans with narrow medians in the UK, "common" is a
bit too strong a description. Those that do exist tend to be older, we try
to avoid them now.

The Pelican timing sequence is intended to get pedestrians established on
the second half of the carriageway by the end of the steady green man/red to
vehicles period. The flashing green man/flashing amber period is intended to
allow a late-arriving pedestrian who has just stepped off the pavement at
the end of the steady green man time to get across the carriageway. But as
soon as the first pedestrians clear the second carriageway most drivers will
start moving, so a late arrival will get caught in the middle. A narrow
median provides an uncomfortable, marginally safe place to wait if you get
caught between the streams of traffic, particularly if you are a parent with
a child in a pushchair or you are in a wheelchair. Though you do normally
get provided with a push-button in the middle so that you can call another
pedestrian sequence.

You also need to set the timing to get most people across both
carriageways - this will mean long steady green man and  flashing green man
periods, which some highway authorities are not keen on because of delay to
road traffic.

We would normally try to achieve some local widening to accommodate a
staggered crossing. With the wrong timings these can cause considerable
delay to pedestrians. In Sheffield we try to minimise this by cross linking
the crossings - operation of one puts in an advance demand for the second so
it begins to change as the pedestrians reach it. We also have (very) short
minimum vehicle green periods so pedestrians don't have to wait long.

Pete Bull
Principal Engineer - Traffic Control, Sheffield City Council

Note: this is my personal opinion, not necessarily the policy of Sheffield
City Council.