At 02:41 AM 10/19/2000 GMT, you wrote:
>Dear UTSG members,
>I'm working as Research Associate with Asian Institute of Technoplogy,
>Thailand. I do some research on least cost strategy on Urban
>trandsportation planning to minimize the emission level. If any of the
>member, please help me to find some existing work on least-cost strategies
>or any optimization model on Urban transportation planning I would very much
>appreciate.

See the chapter "Least Cost Transportation Planning" in the Online TDM
Encyclopedia, available free at our website. It describes the concept and
lists related literature, including some documents posted on the Internet.
As always, we appreciate feedback.

When applying least cost planning, I think it is important to avoid
optimizing for just one objective. Traditional traffic engineering tends to
optimize only for traffic congestion reduction, resulting in programs and
policies that exacerbate other transportation problems (i.e., they reduce
access and travel choice, and increase parking costs, crashes, consumer
costs, pollution and sprawl). Similarly, optimizing for just emission
reductions can lead to programs and policies that that exacerbate other
problems, such as traffic congestion, crashes, consumer costs, etc. Put
another way, it is important to use a comprehensive model that identifies
opportunities to solve multiple problems at once.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"