-----Original Message-----
From: Tonse Raju [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 January 2000 11:39
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hess Incubator-A beauty

Dear Colleagues:

Some of my colleagues in Chicago recently unearthed (literally!) a Hess
incubator, circa 1915.

All cleaned up, shiny, it is a  beauty to behold. It has recently been
placed on display at the Spertus Museum in Chicago. (618, South Michigan
Avenue). If you are in the neighborhood, it is worth a visit.

I am not sure if any of the 'old' incubators is on display anywhere else in
 museums in USA or in other countries; if so, a note to me will be highly
appreciated. Such classics as Tarnier-Budin, Lyon (or is it Lion?), DeLee's
Water Bed, Holt's, or Rotch incubator, (or others) developed between the
late 1880s through 1930s must of course be preserved.

Incidentally, at one time, the Smithsonian sent letters to pediatricians to
send the museum,  classic relics (this was when I was a junior attending).
I remember that I sent them foot prints from a preterm infant, then the
smallest surviving in the this region (some 450 grams birth weight). Not
only did I not hear from the museum back, but also the Medical Section of
the American History Museum seems to has emaciated. So it goes.

Tonse

Tonse Raju, MD
University of Illinois M/C 856
840 South Wood Street, Chicago 60612