From: Chaplin, Simon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2000 12:31 PM
To: Museums of Health & Medicine Link (E-mail)
Subject: Controlled terminology for historic medical artefacts

The Museums of The Royal College of Surgeons of England are in the process
of setting up a new database for our historic collections. In preparation
for this, we are currently investigating available sources of controlled
terminology, thesauri and authority files relating to the description of
(historic) medical artefacts and specimens, as well as for names of
manufacturers and practitioners.

Initial discussions with colleagues in the UK suggest that there is general
interest in such resources. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has
experience in this field.

Best wishes

Simon Chaplin
Senior Curator
Museums of The Royal College of Surgeons of England