Dear Tunicatists,

  We were  pleased to see the comments from Donna Lapinsky.

  Actually, we  consider that only some of the mitrates were stem-group
tunicates, since all the others were stem-group acraniates or stem-group
craniates. In addition the strange fossils  called cornutes, with gill slits
on the left side of the head only like larval amphioxus,   were stem-group
chordates, as were most members of an even more primitive group of fossils
called solutes, which differed from cornutes  by having an echinoderm-like
feeding arm anteriorly.  The latest common ancestor of extant chordates was
therefore  a mitrate and the latest common ancestor of extant deuterostomes
was a solute.

   All   mitrates were built like tunicate tadpoles with a head and a tail
sharply distinct from each other. (We don't say  trunk and tail, unlike
tunicate systematists, since "head" and "tail" give a better notion of the
homologies with craniates.) Mitrates had a tunicate-like pharynx, for
endostylar feeding, inside the head. And they also had some remarkable
tunicate-tadpole-like  features, such as a rectum that opened into the left
atrium, for example.

  Donna is right to think that we regard the tail as locomotory, but in
crawling it  pulled the animal rearwards. This was originally suggested,
purely  from  the functional morphology of the skeleton,  in (Jefferies
1967) but  is  now confirmed by finding  two  tracks, together with the
mitrates that  caused them. These are preserved on  the remarkable piece of
German Devonian slate discussed by  Nature (for a longer description see
Sutcliffe, Suedkamp & Jefferies. (2000, Lethaia, 33, 1-12). For all we know,
the mitrates were capable of swimming when very young, like tunicate
tadpoles nowadays, and if they did so they probably  swam forwards. A fairly
recent paper (Jefferies & Jacobson. 1998. Integrative Biology, Vol. 1,
115-132) discusses the changes required to get from a mitrate to something
like a hagfish.

  Locomotion in mitrates therefore had nothing to do with the rather
tentative crawling of didemnids. It was driven by the tail as would be
expected for primitive chordates.

  We could go on at length (as you can imagine) but this is probably enough
for the moment.
                               Best regards,
                               Dick Jefferies and Patricio Dominguez.
*********************************