Paisley,

It seems pretty clear to me that the only correct answer (for the US) is

"there are no reliable national surveys which document the size of the
trans population."

And *most* especially when you consider that the definition of "trans"
is so elastic (even if we assume that means "TS or what some people
would cll TS") that even with perfect information, the answer could
easily vary by an order of magnitude, depending on which definition
you're interested in.  If we include "trans-anything", then the
definitions become so outrageously variable, that you could cover
several orders of magnitude with changing definitions.

But if anyone knows of anything remotely approaching accurate figures
for the US, I, too, would be very glad to know of it.

Steve