Susan said:

>FYI, Christina has had success with the state of New Jersey granting
>her a driver's license with sex=F although she is pre-op. This pparently, (I
>think) establishes a precedent for getting sex changed on driver's licenses
>in New Jersey. Previously, having the sex changed wasn't allowed in New
>Jersey until after the operation.

Actually, I changed my name in NJ by usage. Upon receiving a duplicate
license at the DMV, I told them there was a mistake. The woman at the
counter looked at me, hesitated, but complied when I challenged them about
producing a birth certificate. I acted like they were crazy to look at me
and then make me produce a doccument as proof of gender.

Of course I realize this would not work for everyone, but it does set a
precedent of sorts, since I did not have lower surgery.

However, before changing the doccument, the woman behind the counter
announced to the whole room: "He's had 'f' on his drivers license for 15
years and didn't notice!"

More to the point of this post:

On the NJ State Health Plan, Blue Cross Traditional Plan, I have gotten
hormones and some surgery (with the help of creative diagnoses from docs).
Before that, I got surgery upfront for "TSism," from Prudential Insurance
through Rutgers.

Ben Singer