Hello,

I'm preparing a session for the Conference of the SfAA (Society for Applied Anthropology) in Merida, Mexico (march 28-april1, 2001) on Tourism and Armed Conflict: a view from the Anthropology of Tourism.

I'm looking for people who are or have been working on this theme and who would like to participate with a paper in this session.
Below you find a (first ... I'm still working on it...) session abstract.

Information about the conference can be found at www.sfaa.net
If interested please contact me : Anne Marie Van Broeck : [log in to unmask]

Anne-Marie

Tourism and Armed Conflict : a view from the Anthropology of Tourism

Articles in different journals dealing with the various possible relations between tourism and armed conflict, have appeared since the mid-1990. There are a range of terms employed such as war tourism, danger-zone tourism and thanatatourism; these share some characteristics, but there are contrasts in emphasis and focus.

The session aims to bring together those with an interest in the subject in order to explore alternative interpretations and meanings. There will be opportunities to examine the relationships between tourism and armed conflict, in terms of the influence of such disturbances on tourism, tourist experiences at places and monuments where the memory of past wars and conflicts are represented and actual conflicts as tourist attraction.

Kathleen Adams, Robert Dover, Nancie Gonzales, Tony Seaton have shown interest to participate, as well as some Cuban collegues.