Thanks Jane, Steve and everyone for a thought provoking
question at the start of term!

Although I agree with Steve that there are perhaps few
cases of anthropologists intentionally seeking to further
the aims of empire - indeed, colonial governments often
found that anthropological knowledge was not always
conducive to legitimising their objectives.  However, as
Eric Wolf (1999) has argued in a recent paper (Social
Anthropology 7(2)),  anthropology often took place in
'pacified areas', therefore, good intentions do not
necessarily absolve us from the implications of our
fieldwork and, particularly, sensitivity to the context
within which it occurs.

Thus to Jane's original question I would argue that despite
the prospect of remuneration to the hosts, like any
emergent relationship based upon a monetary exchange there
asymmetries of power will begin to emerge between
researchers and hosts as well as within the 'community'.

Second, the relationship is structured by a wider political
economy which still enables a disproportionate amount of
white/northern researchers to enter the social world of
periphery, whether in aboriginal Australia or the East End
of London. So there needs to be some consideration of the
the purpose of this knowledge gathering exercise
(presumably the company concerned is merely interested in
profits?  This then raises another issue: what is the
anthropological value of knowledge that is constituted in
the context of an overwhelmingly monetary encounter? Does
this mean that locals will have a vested interest in
concealing information in order to perpetuate the exchange
and increase their monetary gain?  If they are happy with
that, perhaps it is okay, but is arguably dubious in terms
of its anthropological value.

Just some emerging ideas.

Raoul

Dr. Raoul Bianchi